Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And Then What?

When I taught school many years ago, I would privately ask each graduating student in my Bible class the following simple question,  “And then what?”  It seems like a simple exercise, but it can be very profound. 

I thought you might consider asking your teens the same question and see what discussion follows. 

The following is a typical discussion I would have with my students.

What do you want to do when you graduate from high school?
            “Go to college.”

And then what?
            “Get a job.”

And then what?
            “Get married.”

And then what?
            “Buy a house and have a family.”

And then what?
            “Coach my child’s Little League team.”

And then what?
            “Buy a boat and a vacation home.”

And then what?
            “Watch my children get married and raise a family.”

And then what?
            “Retire and travel the world with my spouse.”

And then what?
            “Relax at my mountain cabin and become an active grandparent.”

And then what?
            “Grow old and die.”

And then what...

The Bible tells us man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment (Hebrews 9:27).  What will you say to Jesus when you see Him?  Why should He allow you to live with Him in heaven for all eternity? 

The conclusion to life is death.  I don’t want to be morbid, but no one gets out of here alive. 
What are your plans for your future?



For books and resources to help you connect and communicate values to your kids check out our website at:
Al Menconi Ministries Facebook Page
Parenting help for the Internet age
Christian Parenting advice
Entertainment advice for parents
Keeping Kids Safe In the digital age
Keeping Kids Safe in the Internet age

No comments:

Post a Comment