Thursday, June 28, 2012

How Should a Christian Respond to the Obamacare Decision?

I listened to the verdict on Obamacare this morning and I was appalled.  How can citizens in America be forced to buy something we don’t want?  And if we don’t buy it, we will be taxed on something we refuse to own!  How does that make sense?  It doesn’t.  

As I struggled with this issue, I couldn't get II Chronicles 7:14 out of my head.  
“If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.”

This is a promise to Israel, but it can also be a promise to Christians (His people) as well.  We Christians have quoted this verse for years to encourage all Christians to ask God to heal our land.  But America has gotten worse during that time. Why?  That's when I realized there are key elements to God’s promise that I have overlooked and skimmed over for years.  

We are called to humble ourselves and turn from our wicked ways before God will heal our land.  These are commands directed to us as individuals.  God is pleading with us as individuals to humble ourselves and turn from our wicked ways. 

Humble and turn? 

God warned Israel in Isaiah 9:8 – 21, but Israel resisted God’s warnings and were destroyed and taken into captivity by the Assyrians.

I now believe God has been warning us for at least 50 years, but I did see them as warnings at the time. I'm sure that I missed others, but I now believe the Supreme Court's ruling to eliminate prayer from public schools was a warning.  I now believe legalizing the murder of the unborn to be a warning.  I now believe 9/11 to be a warning.  And I believe today’s decision by the Supreme Court to fundamentally change America from the “land of the free enterprise” to a totalitarian system of government is a warning. 

How many warnings will we miss/ignore?

God has been warning us for years to become humble and turn from our wicked ways, but our personal morality and our nation’s morality has fallen so low that research has shown there is very little difference between Christians’ behavior and the behavior of non-Christians. 

And instead of becoming humble, we have reduced our faith to a defacto political voting block in hopes politicians will heal our land! Isn't it God's job to heal our land?  To make it worse, we have cut ourselves off from more than half of the people in our nation because of our political views.  That isn't humility.  That's foolish!  

The Christian church in China has grown exponentially during the last 60 years while under a heavy handed totalitarian rule.  The Church in China has grown so much in the last 60 years that they now greatly outnumber American Christians!  During that same 60 year period, the Christian church in America has learned to compromise with the values of this world and to develop into a political voting unit.

Maybe, today’s decision is another warning from God to repent before we are totally destroyed by our foolish and selfish behavior. 

I don’t expect my words to be popular.  I know I am preaching to myself and even I don’t like to hear what I am saying. I’ve been trying to justify my past behavior while I have been writing this. I have been a political wonk for years.  I have ignored God’s warnings.  Oh I have asked God to heal our land, but my prayers were secondary to my political concerns. 

I will continue to support the politicians who I believe will help us get back to our Constitution and to limit government, but my top priority will be asking God to forgive me and to forgive our country for not relying on Him to heal our land.  Will you join me? 

1 comment:

  1. The decision was formed under Congress' new e expanded rights to tax us. Healthcare is now called a mandatory tax. They talk about mandatory car insurance as the parallel. If I don't want to pay for the insurance, I can always walk or ride the bus. Not an example of mandatory. If I breath, I now have to have mandatory insurance to cover the problem of breathing. What else can now have the open door to be called a mandatory tax? When the government needs money, (like that that will ever happen)they will be able to mandate new spending under a new "tax". Do they need you to eat mandatory healthy foods? There can be an app for that! Do they need you to behave a certain way, they can make it a mandated tax to promote their agenda if that agenda is not something you value.

    ReplyDelete