Friday, November 9, 2012

God Answered Our Prayers On Election Night!


Our prayers were answered with the election November 6, 2012.  Let me explain where I’m coming from. 

No, the election didn’t turn out the way I had hoped.  In fact, as I prayed before the election it was difficult for me to say, “May Your Will be done.”  And when I did say it, I followed it with, “but please let it be Romney.”  But it wasn’t to be. 

Personally, with this election, I believe America just committed suicide as a country.  The greatest and freest country the world has ever known, has willingly and with forethought, given away too much of its freedom to the government and to rest of the world.  I don’t want to go into detail why I believe this, because it will distract from the lesson God taught me through this election.   But I believe our days as a free nation are numbered. 

I was feeling sorry for myself (and my country) just after the election while feeding my dog. Trooper is a cute little black pug who really gets excited when I feed him.  So as he was jumping around waiting for me to deposit his food in his dish, I half seriously scolded him.

“No wonder you are so happy.  I feed you.  I provide a roof over your head.  I give you a bed.  I take care of all your needs.  You don’t have anything to worry about.”  As soon as those words came out of my mouth, God spoke to my heart.  “I do the same for you!”

But the future of America looks bleak I argued.  I don’t make much money, but what I do make is going to be taxed heavily.  The $16 trillion in debt is going to crush us! Obamacare is going to put my medical decisions in the hands of a bureaucrat. We have a president who wants to appease our enemies instead of standing up to them like Reagan.  Life is going to be so much more difficult.  Our future is in doubt.    

Immediately Matthew 6:24-34 came to mind.  That’s the passage where Jesus tells his disciples not to worry about what they will eat or drink, or what they will wear.  If God takes care of the birds of the air He will take care of you.  The lilies of the field don’t toil or spin yet they are more glorious than Solomon in all his glory. 

He reemphasized, don’t worry about what you will eat or drink, “but seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, all these things will be added unto you.”  In today’s vernacular, don’t worry, I gotcha covered.   

But I thought if we prayed and turned from sin, you would heal our land.   

Before the election, many Christians like me were praying the principle of II Chronicles 7:14. If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Read that verse again.  We haven’t been humble as a nation, we haven’t been seeking God and we surely haven’t turned from our wicked ways.  So why would God heal our land? Even if we had met all the criteria in II Chronicles 7:14, how would God “heal our land?”  Politically?  Financially?  Economically?  What would healing look like? 

I’ve come to believe the “healing” God is talking about is individually.  “My people,” this verse refers to Israel but it could also easily include Christians.  Christian means “follower of Christ.”  We are His people and He wants US to be healed.

No matter who is president, if we have a big government or small, there is nothing stopping us from healing our land.  Let me explain.

Follow the steps of II Chronicles 7:14. We could be humble as individuals.  Humility is illustrated in Scripture as Jesus being humble by being the servant of all, even to His death on a cross.  (Phil 2:8)
We can practice being like Jesus by loving and serving others.  We can turn from our sinful ways.  We can seek God and ask Him to forgive us every time we do not live like Christ.  We can seek God’s Will for our lives. 

No government or person can stop us from living like Christ. 

No matter how bad you may think our government has become toward Christians and biblical values, it is still better than how Communist China has treated Christians for more than sixty years.  And during that time the Christian church thrived!  They had to worship in secret and rarely had a Bible, yet they grew so much that there are now more Christians in China than in the United States.  
  
So what should we take away from this?  God will heal our land but it’s up to us.  If we humble ourselves by loving and serving others and seek God’s way instead of seeking our desires; we will be “healed.” If enough Christians become “healed,” I believe our land will be “healed.” 

Christians have the responsibility to show others the love and humility of Christ.  When we do others will notice and will want what we have.  But until we do, the future of America is in doubt.  

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this essay. I was prepared to be upset with you, but I have been thinking pretty much the same thing. In fact, I wrote my weekly column on the outcome of the election before the vote had taken place - and wrote it from the viewpoint that God is in control - and regardless of how the election turns out, we still have passions and integrity and need to act on those possibly with even more vigor if the election turned out in a disappointing way. Thank you for the above. It confirms my own thoughts - not that I had any major doubts, but it's still nice.

    Mary Blyth Jones

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I haven't talked to you since high school, but I'm glad to see you have your priorities in order. Our God is in control. I don't know if David told you, but he has been a major help in editing my new book. We've become good friends in the process. Eph 1:15 and 16

      Delete
  2. Well said, Al. We have got to remember that God is still on the throne. When Obama was re-elected, God didn't jump off of His throne and run around Heaven wringing His hands saying "Oh my goodness. Whatever am I going to do? Obama was re-elected." No, God is still seated on His throne and is calmly saying what He's said all along... "If my people who are called by my name..." My emphasis to my students was the word "if." You're right when you say that we haven't humbled ourselves, sought his face, turned from wickedness. We've not done the things the Lord told Solomon we had to do. We're expecting a pay-out like we deserve it. Really, we're deserving of Hell especially in the light of how we've been living our lives here in America. We expect God's grace to be shed over us, yet we don't want to acknowledge the One who gives it. As long as we're all comfy-cozy in our little suburban homes, we think we're self-sufficient and God is only an emergency tactic. We're going to have to get a lot more uncomfortable before we're going to realize that we need to turn back to God. Sad, but true. Thanks for telling it like it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple of days after the election, I was riding to the gym and praying to God - okay, I was complaining to God - about the results. I was working to refocus my thoughts to trust that no matter what had happened, He would still take care of His children...no matter who was in charge.
    Then I was hit with a thought. What if the candidate I wanted HAD won? From some of the things I'd already seen before the election, I could tell there would be outrage - possibly even riots. The split would be HUGE. And as for myself - well, if my candidate had won, I'd have let out a sigh of relief and let down my guard. THAT would have been a problem. I'd have thought the battle was over and I'd have laid down my sword.
    But our battle isn't against flesh and blood...and it's not over no matter WHO runs the country. Now is the time to sharpen our swords and stand ready to battle for the souls of men...those who are called by His name are to fight for those held captive, even if we don't agree with them politically.
    That's just my take on things. Now I need to go and sharpen my sword some more...by the way - that means studying His Word. :)
    Donna
    anotherbattlewon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep your Sword sharp. There is a battle for your mind and heart. God is still in control.

      Delete
  4. "committed suicide as a country"
    Really, Al?

    Wow.

    "battle for your mind and heart."
    I guess that translates Romney=good; Obama=bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thought going into the election was Romney bad, Obama worse. At least most of my values wouldn't be under attack. And our economy would recover.

      Delete